Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mos Nicolae - Dec 6th

"December 6th night before the night is known as gifts. It comes when the "Saint Nicholas.""When I was a child, polishing my boots and put them in windows to be stuffed with presents. I had friends who would place their wooden shoes at the door, a sign that there would come Saint Nicholas. I never asked where it came from, because both I and my friends we woke up with gifts in shoes, a sign that Saint Nicholas would come and the door and the window."  
-translated from this:  http://www.crestinortodox.ro/sarbatori/sfantul-nicolae/mos-nicolae-122504.html

This tradition is very loved here in Romania by most children I would say :)  They get goodies and gifts left in their shoes in the very early mornings waiting to be found when they come to the door!  Laszlo was most excited to put out his wellies since they are the biggest of his shoes!  But, interestingly enough they were switched in the morning with these Gruffalo type slippers! Even better and still filled with goodies!  So now he has 'monster gruffalo feet' and a Santa stick...plus some chocolate that was a pre breakfast snack!  One happy boy I had!





No comments: